Myeloma (a disease of Rustycage-Kahler) is a cancer belonging to the group of chronic leukemias. Characteristic of this disease is that it mainly affects people older age group (50 years) and rarely occurs in young (under 40 years). The development of neoplastic processes occurs in the bone marrow of the sick. Prevalence – 3% of the total cancer in the world.
Causes and risk factors
Reliably causes are not established. How provoking criteria are noted:
• exposure to radiation;
• contacts with carcinogens. In this group particularly aggressive provocateurs called the petroleum products and refinery;
• age-related changes
• age over 70 years (the vast majority of patients);
• racial identity. Blacks and persons of Mongoloid and a mixed race suffering with myeloma about twice as often Europeans;
• genetic (family) predisposition.
Consists of several stages. General assessment tests, clinical picture, analysis of a biopsy will help to differentiate the diagnosis, determine the stage, to assign adequate treatment. When time started proper treatment the prognosis is favorable. In advanced cases, evaluation of survival over five years if treatment had been initiated at:
• first stage – 50%;
• second stage – 40%;
• third stage – 15%.
This disease refers to a cancer with a high degree of malignancy of the proceeding processes.
The range of tests includes:
• KLA and blood biochemistry;
• assessment of the level of protein fractions in blood components;
• urine protein analysis Bence-Jones;
• bone marrow biopsy;
• functional diagnostics – radiography, MRI, CT.
After receiving complete and accurate information, the doctor starts the treatment of myeloma, the selection of adequate techniques and therapies. Among the most common, frequently used:
• sluggish shape – regular monitoring, evaluation of processes, the purpose of therapy in the dynamics, the progression of the disease;
• chemotherapy is course, based on the state of health, age, characteristics of the tumor. Typically, these courses are supplemented hormonal and immune supportive therapy to achieve the best stable result;
• to remove a large tumor foci or eliminate squeezing her large vessels and nerves, sometimes to resort to surgery as an additional method in the complex treatment of myeloma.
If the desired outcome (remission and suspension of tumor growth) is not reached, we used bone marrow transplantation/stem cells.
After treatment be sure to perform some common recommendations – diet, walking, moderate exercise, avoiding harmful habits. Such measures help to improve the forecast.